Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Platonic friendships gone awry






Do you ever have dreams where there is a friend involved (someone who in the waking life you only have platonic feelings for) and you wake up questioning your true feelings for that person?
Dreams like this are common, especially when we admire and respect someone. I'll share a dream I recently had where this happened. 

Dream
I dreamed that I was at a friend's (who will remain nameless) house. He invited me and my roommates to come over and have a sleepover. A sleepover with grown adults was a totally normal concept in my dream. His house was huge and very welcoming (the feeling I had in my dream). When it was time for bed he assigned everyone rooms and then he told me that I was sleeping in his bed with him. I felt a little bit awkward about it, but I realized that there were no other open beds and told myself that I needed to be mature. When he threw back the comforter for me to get into bed he was wearing the same underwear my dad wears. Yikes!!! I was suddenly not ok with the situation at all and left the room. The time fast forwarded in my dream and we were all sitting outside in his backyard. I was sitting next to him on the grass. We both had our legs stretched out in front of us. I looked down at his legs and saw that he had cankles. I remember thinking in my dream that I couldn't believe I had never noticed his cankles, but then I justified it because I had never seen him wearing  anything but pants until then. That was the end of my dream. 

Interpretation
I think that I see my friend as a father figure and that was why I didn't want to sleep next to him. This is also why he was wearing fatherly underwear. That being said, I have a very high opinion of my friend and I think that subconsciously I am conflicted about not being attracted to him. The cankles were physical manifestation created by my subconscious to justify these feelings of not being attracted to him. His cankles are a "reason" why I don't like him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Blog Counter